- Red Sox want ex-Yale star Ryan Lavarnway to learn first base
- Albertus Magnus advances to GNAC championship game
- Daniel Hand Gymnastics Eyeing 15th State Title
- Welcome to Dunk Haven: Tiny Albertus Magnus has built a local basketball powerhouse
- Cold temperatures perfect for ice fishing
- Travelers to sponsor Cromwell PGA Tournament through 2024
Meriden native John Jenkins chosen in third round of NFL Draft
- Updated: April 27, 2013
Meriden native and Francis T. Maloney High School grad John Jenkins’ dreams have come true.
Jenkins was selected with the 20th pick in the third round of the NFL Draft by the New Orleans Saints.
The defensive tackle spent two seasons at the University of Georgia, where he blossomed into one of the best players in the SEC. He was a candidate for the Outland Trophy last season, which is awarded to the best lineman (defensive or offensive) in college football.
Jenkins recorded 50 tackles and one sack last season. He also posted 22 solo tackles and led Georgia with 10 quarterback hurries.
As a junior, Jenkins recorded three sacks and even came up with an interception.
He spent the first two years of his college career at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College.