- 2013 Walter Camp All-American Team Announced
- New UConn coach Bob Diaco dominated his first press conference
- Schedule Changes for CIAC Football Championships
- UConn hires Notre Dame’s Bob Diaco as new football coach
- Holiday gift ideas for your fitness fanatic
- Western’s McKoy a finalist for Division III’s Outstanding Player Award
High School Athlete of the Week: Sonja Campbell
- Updated: May 6, 2013
389 total views, 1 views today
Montville High School
Montville Track & Field
Sonja Campbell and had a “breakthrough weekend,” according to Montville coach Joel Finnegan.
Campbell won the shotput with a toss of 39-4 on Friday, which qualified her for the national high school championships in June.
The throw also set a school record, taking down a record held by Nikkia Smith and, according to Finnegan, was the second-best performance in any class in the state this year.
“She’s in a very, very good place at the end of April,” Finnegan said.
“I’m a little surprised. We know she’s a talented kid. There’s a lot there, and I felt we could get here. I just didn’t think we would be here at the end of April. Now, we re-adjust our goals for the rest of the season.”
Have a high school athlete deserving of recognition?