- Can Notre Dame-West Haven knock off top-seeded Windsor in the Class L Small final?
- Arch rivals New Canaan, Darien to meet again for Class L Large title
- Greatest Video Game Athletes of All-Time: Ken Griffey Jr.
- What’s wrong with the UConn Huskies?
- UNH basketball powers past Post, 70-63
- One-on-one with Ansonia football coach Tom Brockett
High School Athlete of the Week: Sonja Campbell
- Updated: May 6, 2013
Montville High School
Montville Track & Field
Sonja Campbell and had a “breakthrough weekend,” according to Montville coach Joel Finnegan.
Campbell won the shotput with a toss of 39-4 on Friday, which qualified her for the national high school championships in June.
The throw also set a school record, taking down a record held by Nikkia Smith and, according to Finnegan, was the second-best performance in any class in the state this year.
“She’s in a very, very good place at the end of April,” Finnegan said.
“I’m a little surprised. We know she’s a talented kid. There’s a lot there, and I felt we could get here. I just didn’t think we would be here at the end of April. Now, we re-adjust our goals for the rest of the season.”
Have a high school athlete deserving of recognition?