- Watson, Snedeker, Mahan and Reed commit to Travelers Championship
- Yale honored at White House on National Champions Day
- Familiar rivals Yale and Quinnipiac meet in ECAC hockey playoffs
- Napier named to AAC first team, Brimah makes all-rookie squad
- Sheehan High School holds Sports and Fitness Career Panel
- Quinnipiac women lose heartbreaker to Marist in MAAC final
High School Athlete of the Week: Sonja Campbell
- Updated: May 6, 2013
Montville High School
Montville Track & Field
Sonja Campbell and had a “breakthrough weekend,” according to Montville coach Joel Finnegan.
Campbell won the shotput with a toss of 39-4 on Friday, which qualified her for the national high school championships in June.
The throw also set a school record, taking down a record held by Nikkia Smith and, according to Finnegan, was the second-best performance in any class in the state this year.
“She’s in a very, very good place at the end of April,” Finnegan said.
“I’m a little surprised. We know she’s a talented kid. There’s a lot there, and I felt we could get here. I just didn’t think we would be here at the end of April. Now, we re-adjust our goals for the rest of the season.”
Have a high school athlete deserving of recognition?