- Boston Marathon finishers from Connecticut
- UConn’s first 1,000 point scorer, Vin Yokabaskas, dies at 85
- Jaden, brother of Mandi Schwartz, scores goal on day of donor drive in her honor
- Yale field hockey’s Erica Borgo talks Mandi Schwartz donor drive
- Ethan Suraci, North Haven double up Daniel Hand lacrosse, 12-6
- Mohegan Sun to host women’s AAC basketball tournament in 2015
High School Athlete of the Week: Sonja Campbell
- Updated: May 6, 2013
Montville High School
Montville Track & Field
Sonja Campbell and had a “breakthrough weekend,” according to Montville coach Joel Finnegan.
Campbell won the shotput with a toss of 39-4 on Friday, which qualified her for the national high school championships in June.
The throw also set a school record, taking down a record held by Nikkia Smith and, according to Finnegan, was the second-best performance in any class in the state this year.
“She’s in a very, very good place at the end of April,” Finnegan said.
“I’m a little surprised. We know she’s a talented kid. There’s a lot there, and I felt we could get here. I just didn’t think we would be here at the end of April. Now, we re-adjust our goals for the rest of the season.”
Have a high school athlete deserving of recognition?