- Rock Cats top prospect Byron Buxton leaves in ambulance after outfield collision
- Top-25 players awarded wildcard entry into Connecticut Open tennis
- Connecticut Sun GM Chris Sienko joins SportzEdge to talk Ogwumike, expectations
- UConn lineman Gus Cruz returns after heart condition
- New England Patriots take part in ALS ice bucket challenge
- AP: Tony Stewart could face criminal charges in death of Kevin Ward Jr.
Bristol shocked by Aaron Hernandez allegations
- Updated: June 19, 2013
By: Stephanie Simoni (AP Photo)
A busy week for Bristol native and Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez who was questioned by police in connection with a homicide in Massachusetts. He’s not considered a suspect.
There is shock in Hernandez’s hometown of Bristol. A lot of them say they just can’t believe the allegations against the football star.
“He was definitely a great player when he was there at Central, the best,” said Rob Rodriguez, Bristol.
“He’s like the hero of our school,” said Derek Cote, Bristol.
A graduate of Bristol Central High School, Hernandez is a star player as a Tight End for the New England Patriots and now he’s making headlines neighbors are not used to seeing.
First, police searched his North Attleboro home in connection to a killing of a man. Then a lawsuit was filed alleging in February he shot his friend in the face in Miami, police do not have a record of this incident.
“I was surprised that his name was connected to crimes like this,” said Cote.
“As far as I know everybody is innocent until proven guilty,” said Rodriguez.
“I don’t believe that either, no not him,” said Sara Vanslyke, Bristol.
Sara Vanslyke used to work out with him at a Bristol gym.
“He’s always talking to everybody, smile on his face, yeah, very friendly guy,” said Vanslyke.
A friendly guy kids continue to look up to.
“Never in a million years would I think of like that happening to him,” said Vanslyke.
A New England Patriots representative said on behalf of the team they are aware of the reports, but will not comment publicly as it’s an ongoing investigation.