- Valentine’s Day is coming early to the West Haven Twilight League, when Bobby “V” speaks, Porky “V” joins in, and a Grand(e) time is guaranteed
- NFL: New England Patriots deflated 11 footballs in AFC Championship Game
- Despite buzzer beater, West Haven edges rival Notre Dame-West Haven in overtime
- It’s time for Sacred Heart of Waterbury to move up and out of Class S
- After four state titles, Notre Dame West Haven baseball coach Lou Kessler retires
- At 7-1, Hamden boys’ basketball is off to its best start in years
300 Pounds and Running: I’m Here to Inspire You!
- Updated: July 16, 2013
Hello SportzEdge my name is Martinus, I’m graduate student at UConn and I’m 300 Pounds and Running! Well 290lbs. to be exact but I when started this journey in July of 2012, I was 345lbs. All of my life I have been the biggest guy in the room, and I was okay with it.
Until I walked into my place of work and felt a sharp pain in my hip. After seeing four doctors and going through 16 weeks of physical therapy, the pain would not subside. I met with an orthopedic specialist and he told me that the pain would not go away unless I lose weight. He called me fat and told me I needed to start walking.
I was highly offended, sarcastically said to him, “Yea I’ll run a marathon and blog about it.” “You should,” the doctor responded. The rest was history.
Since then I’ve lost close to 60 pounds and ran over 6 races including a half marathon. However, this journey isn’t over. I still have a lot more weight to lose and I’m currently training to my first marathon in October.
I am here in hopes that sharing my story will inspire you all to start your own fitness journey.
I plan to be that guy who sets off that aha moment; the guy who helps you to get rid of any preconceive notions of yourself; that no excuses guy who’s telling you, if I can run a half-marathon at 290lbs. you can do it too!
Each week, I’m going to write about my successes and failures in reaching my fitness goals.
Along the way, I’ll offer tips, tricks, and other advice that I’ve found useful in my journey.
Since we’re in this together, I want to hear your suggestions. What do you want help with? I’m not a fitness expert but I can at least tell you what has work for me.
If you support me, I’ll do my best to give you support right back.
Drop me a note. Leave a comment. I’ll try my absolute best to respond to everyone.
Let’s do this together! Here’s to accomplishing our fitness goals.
Want more on my journey? Check out my blog: 300PoundsAndRunning.com