- John McEnroe to compete in Connecticut Open Legends Event
- Yale’s Matt Townsend named Academic All-American of the Year
- UConn’s Breanna Stewart earns Academic All-America honors
- Another shocking score, 117-8, in girls’ high school basketball just happened in nearby Queens, New York
- Mercy girls’ basketball drops Daniel Hand, wins yet another SCC title
- CIAC Class L Girls Basketball Tournament Seedings, Schedule
Running on the Paleo Diet
- Updated: July 29, 2013
About three weeks ago I started the Paleo Diet.
I am still in the experimenting with the diet to make it work for me. I can tell you that I’ve had some issues with sugar withdrawals and energy swings.
The Paleo Diet hasn’t had an effect on my running performance…. until this weekend. I was scheduled to run 14 miles but I tapped out at 11, the main reason being my energy level.
Before I was on the Paleo Diet, I would use the traditional race fuels like energy gels, chews, or beans for my long runs. Now I can’t use these types race fuels because they are not Paleo friendly.
What really sucks about this is I haven’t found a replacement for race fuels yet.
My Paleo purist friends tell me to eat “real food” to fuel my long runs. I’m thinking what does that even mean?
Chicken? Pork Chops? Broccoli? Asparagus? I couldn’t imagine myself eating a pork chop in the middle of my run, so I tried cherries and coconut water.
It gave me some energy but it wasn’t that kick in the pants type of energy like the Paleo unfriendly gels, chews, and beans.
I guess its back to the drawing board on this one… However something has to give because I’m on a very strict running schedule and it’s imperative that I complete these scheduled longs run to keep me on track for the Detroit Marathon.
To my all of my Paleo runners what are you fueling with?
I’ll keep you guys posted on this one… So long until next week!
Want more on my journey? Check out my blog: 300PoundsAndRunning.com