QU goalie makes great save and gets into a fight, but Bobcats lose to Brown, 2-0

From QuinnipiacBobcats.com:

HAMDEN, Conn. – The Quinnipiac men’s soccer team suffered their second loss of the season in front of a large Bobcat crowd on Friday afternoon. In their 2015 home opener, the Bobcats (0-2-1) fell to Brown University (1-0-0), 2-0. After being down a man due to a red card, the Bears were able to score two goals within 30 seconds off defensive miscues by Quinnipiac.

Junior transfer Triston Henry (Scarborough, Ontario) put on an impressive showing, single-handily keeping the Bobcats in the game. Henry tallied a career high 12 saves, including several diving stops and well-timed leaps to keep the Bears from finding the net.

Brown outshot Quinnipiac six to three in the first half with the Bobcats recording just one shot on goal, while Henry registered five saves. Freshman Colton Grob (Suffield, Connecticut) recorded the lone shot in the eighth minute, but was stopped short by the Bears’ keeper. The Bobcats best chance of the half came in the 15th minute, freshman Oscar Evans (Christchurch, Connecticut) dribbled the ball down the right side of the box and fired a strike high of the net from less than 10 yards out.

Both teams came out of half time looking to break the game open with an early goal, but a hard foul called on Quinnipiac’s James Greco (Long Valley, New Jersey) changed the pace of the match. Less than five minutes into the second half, Greco was given his second yellow card and the Bobcats were forced to play a man down.

Within two minutes of the red card, Henry was forced to make two consecutive saves to keep the game scoreless. Grob followed up with his second shot on goal, again saved by the Brown keeper. About two minutes later, Quinnipiac had another opportunity off Max Rothenbucher’s (Munich, Germany) corner kick. Senior defender Stevenson Hawkey (Pennington, New Jersey) sent the ball just wide of the net.

In the 75th minute, Henry made his best save of the afternoon. Brown had a throw in just a couple yards from the corner flag and placed the ball right on target at the six. The Bears’ player headed what looked like a perfect ball into the top right corner, but Henry made an outstretched diving save.

Two minutes later, Brown was able to break the scoreless tie with their first goal in the 78th minute. A defensive miscue in the middle of the field gave the ball right back to the Bears. Tariq Akeel stole the ball and took a couple dribbles before a beautiful pass to a wide open Matthew Chow. Chow struck a one-timer from about 10 yards out which tipped off the outstretched hands of the Bobcat keeper and found the side netting.

Less than thirty seconds later, another Bobcat turnover led to the Bears’ second score of the game. Brown found Henry out of position and chipped a cross to Tariq Akeel for a header into the open net.

Still in search of their first goal of 2015, Quinnipiac will have eight days off before traveling to Kingston, Rhode Island to take on the University of Rhode Island. The Bobcats will meet the Rams on Saturday, September 12 at 7 p.m.

SportzEdge.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s